Learn how to automatically assign demographics for students via SFTP. When configured, demographics will automate from the Student Information System (SIS) directly to eduCLIMBER.
Required Permission: Upload Data into eduCLIMBER
Where to Start
- Prepare the file by creating a spreadsheet using the following column headers
Column Header Format Required School Year Y-Y Yes Student ID Yes Student Last Name Yes Student First Name Yes Demographic Value Yes Demographic Name Yes Demographic Start Date Y-m-d No Demographic End Date Y-m-d No Demographic Alias No Student DOB Y-m-d Recommended Demographic Date Value Y-m-d No
- The Demographic Name is the name of the demographic. This name will display within eduCLIMBER.
- The Demographic Value is the value to assign to the demographic.
- Start and End Dates can be left blank to add the demographic to the identified School Year.
- School Year can be completed to apply the demographic for the identified school year. It can be left blank to apply the demographic to all school years.
FAQ On Creating the File
- The identified demographic is added to all students on the file.
- If no demographic value column is added to the file, the entire file will error.
- Students are added to a demographic with an uploaded file
- This happens when student names are on the file with the identified demographic name and demographic value.
- Students can be removed from a demographic with an uploaded file.
- When a new file is ran that includes the student information for the demographic but the Demographic Value field is blank for the student, then the demographic is deleted from the student account.
- A file can assign up to 10 demographics by assigning numbers to the demographic name and demographic value fields as seen in the example below. Note that leaving the Demographic Value fields blank will either remove the existing demographic from the student or will not assign a demographic to the student:
Automation of the File
If organizations would like to have the file automated, they need to ensure the following:
- The SFTP Connection Information (learn where to access this information in eduCLIMBER)
- Server: sftp.educlimber.com
- Port: 4545
- Save Location: ./demographics
- A means of scheduling the transfer of the file
- Each Student Information System (SIS) may provide a unique way of doing this.
- There are some SISs that do not offer a way to transfer files directly from their interface.
After the File Processes
Once the file processes, users with the permission Upload Data into eduCLIMBER can access Uploads to see the status of the file.
- Select Uploads.
- Select View All Uploaded Files.
- Choose to filter the data displayed by typing key words used for the file
- See the status of the file.
- If the status of the file is Validation, double click the row to validate the file.
There are additional items to note after the file processes:
- If there is no validation needed, the file will upload to eduCLIMBER. If the demographic name already exists in eduCLIMBER, then the file will place the new student information to the already created demographic. However, if the demographic does not yet exist in eduCLIMBER, the file will need to be validated prior to the data from the file being added to eduCLIMBER.
- It's important to know that all demographic files uploaded as new demographics are automatically set as Restricted and, by default, will not display on the Student Profile, Data Walls, or smartFORMS.
- The demographic will need to be manually managed within eduCLIMBER to set the demographic configurations.
- If the demographic is left as Restricted, then Permitted Users will need to be added to the demographic for those individuals to view the demographic and search by it within eduCLIMBER.
Learn how to Access SFTP Information right within eduCLIMBER.
Learn how to Validate a Demographics uploaded file.
Learn how to manually manage the uploaded demographic (including identifying the demographic as not restricted, including the demographic on data walls, including the demographic on smartFORMS, and more).
Learn how to add permitted users to the demographic.