The Generic Assessment File importer is designed to accommodate data that is not available via an existing Upload Type. This allows districts to upload data as needed at any time without needing to contact data services for a custom importer. This lesson guides users through using the Generic Assessment File tool to bring in needed data points which includes one (1) score and up to five (5) score details.
Before you Begin
- Verify an Upload Type is not already available for the needed dataset.
- Create a Custom Assessment for the data to be uploaded into. This includes applying Assessment Windows and Performance Bands to the assessment.
Generic Assessment Layout
The Generic Assessment File uses the following format:
|Assessment Group||The grouping of assessments this test assessment should be placed in. Should exactly match the name of a pre-created Assessment Group.|
|Assessment Name||The name of the assessment (required).|
|Assessment Window||The time period of the assessment, such as "Fall", "Winter", or "Spring". If there is no assessment window, you should mark this value "Yearly" (required).|
|School Year||The school year of the assessment in YYYY or YYYY-YYYY format (required).|
|Student ID||The student ID as it exists in eduCLIMBER.|
|Student First Name, Student Middle Initial, Student Last Name||Name of the student. First and Last Name are required.|
|Date of Birth||Date of Birth of the student in format M/D/YY, e.g. 7/5/20. Highly recommended to assist with matching.|
|Student Grade Level||K, 1, 2, 3, etc. (optional)|
|Score||The Primary Score of the assessment (required).|
|Score Detail (1-5) Label||Up to 5 alternative scores or score details for the main score. Will show in eduCLIMBER when clicking or hovering over the score. Each must be named exactly (optional).|
A sample File Layout can be found at the end of the article.
Automatically Upload a Generic Assessment File via SFTP
Create the assessment file. Once the file is created, it can be automated via SFTP. Ensure the following:
- The SFTP Connection Information (learn where to access this information in eduCLIMBER)
- Server: sftp.educlimber.com
- Port: 4545
- Save Location: ./generic
- A means of scheduling the transfer of the file
- Each Student Information System (SIS) may provide a unique way of doing this.
- There are some SISs that do not offer a way to transfer files directly from their interface.
Manually Upload a File
- Go to Uploads.
- Select View All Uploaded Files.
- Select New at the top right of the screen.
- Select the CSV file created following the layout specification.
- Select Generic Assessment File as the Upload Type.
- Update the Description as needed.
- Select Upload.
The file displays on the table as Received and processes at the end of the day with other Uploads. After it has been uploaded, review the line to review and errors and complete any needed validation.
To learn more about Uploads, visit Uploads Overview.