Still using our Classic Interface? Click here to view your help document
In this lesson, you'll learn how to validate your assessment data for eduCLIMBER. When importing assessment data into eduCLIMBER, some of the records may need to be validated. The most common validations for assessment data are students, schools, and the assessments fields.
If the import tool does not recognize a student contained in one of the records, validate the student. The validation tool displays the records that need your attention. There are two options when validating student records: match to an existing student record or create a new student record. Each row is highlighted in green, yellow, or white.
Green background: Match to an existing student record
- A student record with a green background indicates that the validation tool doesn’t recognize the student, but has found an existing record that appears to match the incoming record. If the incoming student record matches the selected existing student record, check the Match checkbox. Otherwise, create a new student record by checking the New checkbox. Once all changes are completed, select Save.
Yellow background: Potential match to an existing student record
- A student record with a yellow background indicates that the validation tool doesn’t recognize the student, but has found an existing student record that is a potential match. Review the potential match and determine whether or not the existing student record matches the incoming record or if a new student record should be added to eduCLIMBER. Use the same process explained above; if the student record is a match, select the Match checkbox but if the student record should be new, select the New checkbox.
White background: student not located in import file
- A student record with a white background indicates that the validation tool couldn’t find a student with the exact name listed in the import file. This doesn’t mean that the student doesn’t exist, it just means that the validation tool could not find a match for the student. In these circumstance, the following steps will help you verify if it is an existing student or a new student record.
- Check to see if the student exists in eduCLIMBER by clicking the View Matched icon and searching for the student.
- Search by name of ID number to see if the student exists. If you find a match, select the Use Student button. If you cannot find a match for the student, exit out of the student search screen and create a new student.
If the validation tool doesn’t recognize a school in the upload file, you will have to tell eduCLIMBER how to handle the school. There are four options for validating schools: create, alias, exclude, and ignore.
Create the school
- This will add a new school in eduCLIMBER.
Set an Alias for the school
- Alias allows you to match the school named in the upload file to an existing school in eduCLIMBER. For example, you might have an elementary named Climberville Elementary but the assessment file lists the school as eduCLIMBER Elementary. You can create an alias so that any time eduCLIMBER sees eduCLIMBER Elementary it is automatically associated with Climberville Elementary.
Exclude the school
- Exclude allows you to completely ignore the record and all associated data. The data associated with the school record will not be imported into eduCLIMBER.
Ignore the school
- Ignore allows you to ignore the building that the student is in but still import all assessment data. The assessment data will be tied to the student and buildings they may be rostered to through other data imports.
If the validation tool does not recognize the name of an assessment, validate the assessment. There are three options for validating assessments: Create, Alias, and Auto Create.
- If the test in the upload file does not exist in eduCLIMBER, create a new assessment.
- Assign as allows you to match the uploaded assessment data to an existing assessment in eduCLIMBER. For example, the upload file may call the assessment “Operations and Algebraic Thinking” while the existing assessment in eduCLIMBER is named “Operations & Algebraic Thinking.” We know that this is the same assessment, and we want all of the data to be housed together so we Assign “Operations and Algebraic Thinking” As Operations & Algebraic Thinking”
Auto Create Assessment
- Attempt to create selected records automatically based on parent information in the Upload.
To learn more, visit the Uploads manual.