Understand demographics within eduCLIMBER and how they differ from Tags.
Demographics are stored and displayed in eduCLIMBER. These demographics can display on the Student Profile and on Data walls. They can also be used to filter data on the district/grade/class tabs, Program Evaluation, Thresholds, and Incidents. While additional demographic data are typically added to the Student Information System (SIS), many are not automated with the sync from the SIS to eduCLIMBER. Therefore, districts can choose to add any demographic data to eduCLIMBER via automated upload, manual upload, or custom creation within the system. Some example demographics include:
- 504 Status
- Special Education Status
- Foster Youth
- Graduation Year
- Homeroom Teacher
Differences Between Tags and Demographics
|Tags are grouped together (on student profile / data wall)||Configurable options to display demographic fields on student profile chosen|
|Tags are a single text value and students have it or don't have it||Multiple data types (numbers, dates, option lists, Yes/No)|
|Tags exist within one year||Can be indefinite or bound to a date range / school year|
|No limit to the number of tags||Max of 15 demographic codes|
|Tags can be used to include the student cohort in a data search or exclude the student cohort in a data search||Demographics can be used to show the student cohort in a data search|
|Best used when a small group of students are included in a cohort||Best used when the demographic should be assigned to all students to show assignment of the demographic one way or another and/or when a specific type is used (i.e. specific date, specific options within the demographic, etc.)|
|All public tags assigned to students (for the current year or all school years) can display on a smartFORM||Specific demographics assigned to students can display on a smartFORM|
Both tags and demographics can be used to filter searches. However, demographics display with their own search criteria within any filtered view.
Choose to filter on as many demographics as needed for any search.
Demographic Field Types
A variety of field types exist for demographics. For any one demographic, one of the following field types can be selected:
- If the demographic value is identified as Text, then the Demographic Name can be any custom text.
- If the demographic value is identified as Number, then the Demographic Name can be any number.
- If the demographic value is identified as a Date, then the Demographic Name can be any date.
- If the demographic value is identified as Yes/No, then the Demographic Name can be identified as either True or False. Students will display with the demographic for either option. To have students not display with the demographic, leave them off of the uploaded file.
- If the demographic value is identified as Options, then a pre-determined list of options should be identified and used in the Demographic Name column for each student. Only one option can be added per student.
To learn more about how to upload demographics, visit the Upload Demographics article.
To learn more about how to create demographics within eduCLIMBER, visit the Manually Add Demographics article.