Learn how to add demographics for students via upload.
Required Permission: Upload Data into eduCLIMBER
Where to Start
- Create a spreadsheet using the following column headers
Column Header Format Required School Year Y-Y Yes Student ID Yes Student Last Name Yes Student First Name Yes Demographic Value Yes Demographic Name Yes Demographic Start Date Y-m-d No Demographic End Date Y-m-d No Demographic Alias No Student DOB Y-m-d No Demographic Date Value Y-m-d No
- The Demographic Name is the name of the demographic. This name will display within eduCLIMBER.
- The Demographic Value is the value to assign to the demographic.
- Start and End Dates can be left blank to add the demographic to the identified School Year.
- School Year can be completed to apply the demographic for the identified school year. It can be left blank to apply the demographic to all school years.
- Save the file as a CSV.
- Upload the file using the Student Demographics Upload Type.
- The file will upload to eduCLIMBER. If the demographic name already exists in eduCLIMBER, then the file will place the new student information to the already created demographic. However, if the demographic does not yet exist in eduCLIMBER, the file will need to be validated prior to the data from the file being added to eduCLIMBER.
- It's important to know that all demographic files uploaded as a new demographic (i.e. the demographic is not yet created in eduCLIMBER) are automatically set as Restricted and, by default, will not display on the Student Profile, Data Walls, or smartFORMS.
- The demographic will need to be manually managed within eduCLIMBER to set the demographic configurations.
- If the demographic is left as Restricted, then Permitted Users will need to be added to the demographic for those individuals to view the demographic and search by it within eduCLIMBER.
FAQ On Uploading Demographics
- The identified demographic is added to all students on the file.
- If no demographic value column is added to the file, the entire file will error.
- Students are added to a demographic with an uploaded file
- This happens when student names are on the file with the identified demographic name and demographic value.
- Students can be removed from a demographic with an uploaded file.
- When a new file is ran that includes the student information for the demographic but the Demographic Value field is blank for the student, then the demographic is deleted from the student account.
- A file can assign up to 10 demographics by assigning numbers to the demographic name and demographic value fields as seen in the example below. Note that leaving the Demographic Value fields blank will either remove the existing demographic from the student or will not assign a demographic to the student:
Learn how to Validate a Demographics uploaded file.
Learn how to manually manage the students added to the uploaded Demographic.
Learn how to manually manage the uploaded demographic (including identifying the demographic as not restricted, including the demographic on data walls, including the demographic on smartFORMS, and more).
Learn how to add permitted users to the demographic.