Add a Custom Demographic within eduCLIMBER prior to uploading an initial demographic file to ensure accurate settings on the demographic. Additionally, a new demographic can be added without the need for a file to be uploaded.
Required Permission: Manage Demographic Codes
Where to Start
1. Add the custom demographic to eduCLIMBER
- Click System Configurations.
- Select Parents & Students.
- Click Demographics.
- Select Add Demographic
Identify the demographic configuration:
- Demographic Name - Add the name of the Custom Demographic.
- Field Type - Identify the type of information for the custom demographic (choose from: Text, Number, Date, Yes/No, Options)
- When Options is identified as the Value Type, the options list will need to be configured after creation of the custom demographic. This is done within the Options column on the main Demographics screen.
- All School Years - When toggled on, it allows users to leave the year blank when the demographic is applied to students, and then it will apply to all years. When toggled on, it will not accept a year when the demographic is added to a student.
- Restricted - Identify if the Custom Demographic will have restricted access. If Restricted Access is toggled off, all users will be able to see the Custom Demographic as applicable within the configuration.
- When Restricted is toggled on, Users can grant access to the demographic using the Permitted Users column on the main Demographics screen. Individual users as well as user groups (as created within System Configurations > Users & Security) can be provided access to view or search the Custom Demographic.
- Show on Student Profile - Identify if the Custom Demographic will be displayed on the Student Profile.
- Show on Datawall - Identify if the Custom Demographic will be displayed on a datawall. (Note that it is not displayed by default. Users can choose to add it to a datawall just as they can any other demographic.)
- Show on smartFORMS - Identify if the Custom Demographic will be displayed on smartFORMS. (Note that it will only display on smartFORMS when the corresponding field, Demographic smartFIELD, is added to a smartFORM template.)
Adding Permitted Users
If the demographic is restricted, add Permitted Users to identify those specific users who can view the demographic within eduCLIMER and those users who can search by the demographic.
1. Once the demographic is created and saved, select the Permitted Users cell to add permitted users to the demographic.
2. Users can be added to the demographic by individual user or User Group.
- To Add Individual Users as Permitted Users Select. the Users tab and select Add User.
- Select the School Year and identify if the user will be searched By Name, By School, or By Tag. Then, use the search field at the top to search, and select the user by selecting the checkbox next to the user to add as a Permitted User to the demographic.
To add User Groups as Permitted Users:
- Select the User Groups tab and select the Add Group field. Then, select the group to add. (Note that User Groups can be configured within Security & Permissions.)
3. Once Users and/or User Groups are added, they can be provided access to view the demographic within eduCLIMER as well provided access to search for the demographic.
- Toggle on Can View and/or Can Search to provide users with options in interacting with the demographic.
- Can View - Users and/or User Groups with Can View access are able to see the demographic for specific students. The demographic will display on datawalls (if enabled on the demographic configuration) and on the Student Profile (if enabled on the demographic configuration). In most cases, users with "Can View" access should also have "Can Search" access.
- Can Search - Users and/or User Groups with Can Search access are able to use the demographic within a search filter, but they will not be able to see the specific students/names with the specific demographic.
To learn more about how to upload a file to add students to a created demographic, visit the Upload Custom Demographics article.
To learn more about how to add students to a created demographic, visit the Managing Students Within a Custom Demographic article.
To learn more about how to manage/edit/modify a created demographic, visit the Manually Manage/Edit/Modify a Custom Demographic article.